- A class II Meteorological Observatory at Raipur was established on 1.1.1870 for taking observation of Raipur.
- It was converted to Class III observatory in 1889 and then to class II on 16.11.1929, class II (a) on 1.2.1949 and class I on 31.1.1966.
- The RS/RW observation of upper atmosphere was started at Raipur by shifting RS/RW equipments from Pendra Road in November 1993.
- After formation of Chhattisgarh State it was finally upgraded to Meteorological Centre (M.C.) on 1.6.2002 to give forecast for Chhattisgarh state.
- The weather forecasting and Agricultural Advisory Services were started in June and October respectively in the year 2002 after formation of M.C.Raipur in Chhattisgarh state.
- To collect the weather data of Raipur directly through satellite the Automatic Weather System (A.W.S.) was installed in April 2006.
- The district level Agro-Advisory Services was introduced from 1st June 2008.
- All aviation forecast for Raipur were earlier initiated from Meteorological Centre Bhopal and A.M.O. Nagpur. The independent weather forecasting (General and Aviation) was started at Met. Centre Raipur from 1st February 2009.
- M.O. Raipur was earlier equipped with Telephone, Teleprinter and Telex in the decade of 1960’s for weather data transmission and reception.
- Wireless Communication was introduced in 1970 to collect data of Jagdalpur and Pendra Road and to transmit them to Nagpur.
- The link of Internet was provided in July 2002 and the provision of Fax was made at M.C.Raipur on 3.9.2003.
- The Digital Meteorological Data Dissemination (DMDD) and High Speed Data Terminal (HSDT) were started in March 2008.
- The Interactive Voice Recording System (IVRS) was started in April 2008 to give weather information in Hindi, Chhattisgarhi and English.
Activities of Met Centre
- Observations of surface data with the help of Surface instruments and Upper air data with the help of Pilot Balloon Ascent and Radio-Sonde equipment are taken at Lalpur, Raipur.
- Agri-Met data are collected at Auxiliary Evapo-Transpiration (A.E.T.) observatory in I.G.K.V.V. Raipur.
- Hourly current weather observation is taken at Met. Office Mana.Cloud pictures, Surface data charts and Wind charts of different levels are received through Internet and DMDD.
- Rainfall data of tahsil level is collected from office of land records of all districts of Chhattisgarh state.
- All India Weather Summary, Daily, weekly and Monthly weather bulletins of all India are received from Head office Pune and Delhi
- General weather forecast, Daily weather summary and bad weather warnings are issued for public, which are disseminated through All India Radio, Doorsarshan, News papers and various local TV channels.
- All aviation and non-aviation weather forecast for Chhattisgarh region is issued by Met Centre Raipur.
- District level Agro-Advisory service is provided for farmers with coordination with state Agriculture Department and Indira Gandhi Krishi Vishwa Vidyalaya Raipur.
- All observatory in Chhattisgarh namely Seismological Office Bilaspur, M.O. Pendra Road, M.O. Jagdalpur, M.O. Ambikapur and several part time observatories are monitored by this office.
- Collection and dispatch of rainfall data of District wise Rainfall Measuring Station (DRMS) are done for Chhattisgarh state.
- Met Centre Raipur is only weather advisory agency for Chhattisgarh.
Design and Maintained by Kuldeep Singh Siddhu (S.A.), MC Raipur (Chhattishgarh)